All college students are launched to easy tables typically schooling kindergarten school rooms in paper/pencil (or tactile) codecs which rapidly transition to digital codecs. College students first be taught the foundational ideas reminiscent of high, backside, left and proper, then college students apply these directional ideas to rows, columns and grids. Subsequent, college students ought to be taught to create and use easy tables earlier than studying earlier than making use of this desk information to spreadsheets, that are extra advanced. As all the time, braille college students needs to be launched to tactile representations at every stage earlier than pairing the tactile with the same digital exercise.
This put up is particularly about easy methods to navigate a desk utilizing JAWS. Tech Requirements usually point out particular spreadsheet expertise and don’t listing the pre-requisite expertise of understanding row, columns, grids and tables. (See Tech Requirements under.) It’s merely understood that college students have these ideas and apply this data to spreadsheets. Let’s begin by defining what’s a desk together with the distinction between a desk and a spreadsheet.
Distinction between a Desk and a Spreadsheet
At desk is a set of details or figures organized in columns and rows. It’s a helpful method of organizing data.
A spreadsheet is a pc program that imitates a paper worksheet. A spreadsheet can have many cells in a grid of rows and columns, identical to a desk. Nevertheless, a spreadsheet can also be a calculation and presentation device, the place cells can work together. An interactive file that exists of cells in rows and columns that may assist organize, calculate and type knowledge.
Third grade Widespread Core Tech Requirements embrace introducing spreadsheets in second or third grade with full mastery of spreadsheet options by fifth grade. These spreadsheet objectives embrace:
- Reveal an understanding of the spreadsheet as a device to document, manage and graph data.
- Establish and clarify phrases and ideas associated to spreadsheets (e.g., cell, column, row, values, labels, chart graph)
- Enter/edit knowledge in spreadsheets and carry out calculations utilizing formulation
- Utilizing mathematical symbols (e.g., + add, – minus, *multiply, , / divide, ^ exponents)
- Use spreadsheets and different functions to make predictions, resolve issues and draw conclusions
- Hearken to title and variety of columns and rows
Instructions for Navigating a Desk Utilizing JAWS
When the main target is on a cell within the desk:
- Proper Arrow Key: Transfer to the subsequent character
- Left Arrow Key: Transfer to the earlier character
- Management + Proper Arrow: Transfer to the subsequent phrase
- Management + Left Arrow: Transfer to the earlier phrase
- Management + Alt + Down Arrow: Transfer down the column within the desk
- Management + Alt + Up Arrow: Transfer up the column within the desk
- Management + Alt + Proper Arrow: Strikes to the subsequent cell within the row
- Management + Alt + Left Arrow: Strikes to the earlier cell within the row
- Home windows Key + Alt Proper Arrow: Strikes to the highest of the subsequent column, then reads the whole column
- Home windows Key + Alt Left Arrow: Strikes to the highest of the earlier column, then reads the whole column
- Home windows Key + Alt + Down Arrow: Strikes to the start of the subsequent row, then reads the whole row
- Home windows Key + Alt + Up Arrow: Strikes to the start of the earlier row, then reads the whole row
- Management: Stops Jaws from saying
Within the video under, Phillip White demonstrates easy methods to navigate a desk with JAWS.