Squigz by Fats BrainToys are a enjoyable multi-sensory toy that may assist assist many developmental abilities. As a TVI, a part of the job is to be inventive in our actions, to assist promote enchancment of abilities and independence, and have enjoyable. Squigz have turn into considered one of my favourite toys to make use of in periods with my kiddos. This toy can be utilized in quite a lot of methods concentrating on completely different abilities. These toys are product of silicone and have a suction cup that can be utilized to connect with different Squigz or completely different surfaces similar to tables, home windows, mirrors, dry erase boards, and so on. While you pull them off, the toy makes a satisfying popping sound. These toys can be utilized to focus on high-quality motor strengthening, visible motor coordination, crossing midline and likewise offers proprioceptive enter, by way of sensory processing, they aim quite a lot of areas: tactile (really feel of them), visible (brilliant colours), auditory (pop noise. These “enjoyable little suckers” might be applied in so some ways.
Academics of the Visually Impaired (TVI’s) are utilizing Squigz to assist construct hand and finger power and dexterity together with spatial ideas (prime, backside, center, left, proper) that are foundational abilities wanted for urgent keys on a Perkins Braille author and making easy gestures on an iPad.
Throughout a latest Skilled Growth Cohort on the ABCs of iOS: A VoiceOver Handbook for Toddlers and Past, preschool TVI’s with the Early Studying Sensory Help Program- VI mentioned toys and actions that they used with their toddler and preschool kiddos to construct foundational abilities wanted to have the ability to work together with apps on the iPad. Squigz have been utilized by some TVI’s to pre-teach and apply spatial ideas utilizing these as a tactual cue earlier than opening an app and having a baby work together with it. Squigz are positioned in several areas on the iPad for the kid to search out them when given a directional cue on the iPad display screen (i.e., proper, left, prime, backside, center, north, south, east, west). Squigz will also be used if a baby is having a tough time utilizing a one-finger gesture as a substitute of complete hand on the iPad by having them maintain a Squigz piece with their different fingers in order that the pointer finger can do its job.
Preschool youngster, Karson utilizing discovering Squigz at “the highest” of the iPad.
See video of a TVI featured within the ABC’s of iOS Handbook who’s utilizing Squigz with a pupil.
Extra Squigz Actions
Listed below are another actions you as a TVI can attempt to incorporate Squigz into your pupil’s day by day routine:
- Pull off Squigz laying susceptible (on stomach) which helps with hand and extremity strengthening in addition to core strengthening. Strive sticking a number of Squigz to the ground and having children positioned on their tummies over a remedy ball or bolster to tug off as many as they’ll whereas supporting themselves on one hand!
- Pulling Squigz off a vertical floor (wall, wipe erase board, fridge, submitting cupboard, slant board, iPad on a stand) helps wrist stability strengthening, crossing midline together with high-quality motor abilities and bilateral coordination to carry the floor with one hand whereas the opposite hand is pulling the squigz.
- Use Squigz with play dough. They make nice stamps! (Advantageous motor strengthening)
- Join the Dots! This exercise targets coordinating imaginative and prescient with actions of the physique, crossing midline, sequencing abilities.
- Writing Abilities– Serving to children utilizing muscle reminiscence to know the beginning and finish level practising letter formation (prime to backside) in addition to shapes and numbers (grasp, visible motor, hand eye coordination)
- Throw to a Goal. Create a goal board to make use of to hit the goal utilizing a Squigz (pin the tail on the donkey, physique components of a face, or a wipe erase board and title the directional cue because the youngster throws it towards the board when it sticks. (grasp, visible motor abilities, hand-eye coordination)
- Constructing with Squigz! Make a Squigz construction and have your youngster copy (visible motor, high-quality motor manipulation/coordination, spatial relations, downside fixing).
Squigz on Amazon (Word: There are completely different Squigz kits accessible.)