I’m the developer of Speech Central, one of many main textual content to speech apps on the App Retailer.
The goal of the app is to offer a really broad set of options on the worth that isn’t matched by different apps. As such the characteristic set of the app is corresponding to all different prime apps and there are revolutionary options that set Speech Central aside. Among the options which can be presently not matched by another app are: listening of the online headlines with capability so as to add associated articles, programmable audio (headphones) buttons, widest availability of customization choices. All this comes at a value that’s considerably (even a number of instances) decrease when in comparison with apps with related characteristic set.
The app implements cutting-edge options of voice readers for schooling:
- The widest help for paperwork/workplace and e-book codecs
- Information and textual content annotation instruments built-in
- Export the textual content with annotations to .docx format
- The app is examined to be accessible with VoiceOver by legally blind customers. Bookshare, an accessible on-line library is built-in into the app.
- Capabilities of audio buttons will be personalized for prime productiveness and accessibility. The widest number of instruments to manage the velocity and place of how the textual content is learn aloud.
- Keyboard shortcuts for improved accessibility
- The app can be utilized with any of 27 languages which have text-to-speech help on iOS, and all main languages are supported for the total computerized recognition.
- OCR perform to import the textual content from the digital camera or from the scanned PDF
- The app can be utilized as an assistive know-how and helper for folks with visible impairments and disabilities like dyslexia (dyslexia pleasant font is included within the app).
Supported doc sorts are: PDF (together with scanned paperwork), Microsoft Phrase (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .txt, .rtf, supported e book codecs are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format. All these codecs will work provided that a doc has no DRM (Digital Rights Administration).
The common model of the app is obtainable for obtain from this hyperlink: Speech Central Voice Reader (common model).
For the aim of schooling it has two use circumstances:
- Educators can use it to guage the app because it has a free tier with all choices unlocked – the bounds are that one can import two brief paperwork every day and one lengthy doc in a month. Within the first day of use one could activate the choices to take away these limitations throughout that day.
- College students could use it to entry academic content material.
Nevertheless the common app doesn’t meet all of the wants of schooling market, and there’s a model particularly crafted for faculties accessible at this hyperlink: Speech Central: College Reader. This model is healthier for this explicit marketplace for a number of causes:
- The common model accommodates the online browser built-in. Whereas it’s unlikely for use for unintended functions Apple considers that it might be utilized in such a means and as such the app must be labeled as 18+.
- The common model sends some analytic information to the server that’s used to enhance the standard of the app. Whereas this information is proscribed and can’t be used to determine or observe customers the schooling model doesn’t ship any information to servers. As such it’s licensed by Apple to be included within the ‘Children’ class. No different related app on the App Retailer affords this stage of the kid privateness safety.
- The common model makes use of the in-app buy to take away the limitation of the free tier. This will not be acceptable for younger youngsters. Additionally Apple could enable academic low cost when faculty seems as a purchaser which can’t be utilized to in-app purchases. The academic model is a paid app and as such it removes these issues.
- The common model accommodates some options like ‘Headlines’ that are unlikely for use in schooling in faculties. Removing of these options makes the app simpler to grasp by younger youngsters and likewise inexpensive.
Speech Central Video 1 [Video Description: There is a web page opened in the Safari browser. The user taps on the Share button and the Share dialog appears. The user taps on the Speech Central icon. The user is presented with three options – ‘Listen Now’, ‘Add to Articles & Books’ and ‘Add to Headlines’. Among those the user picks ‘Listen Now’. The app opens the reader screen and starts to read aloud the content from the web site.]
Speech Central Video 2 [Video Description: In the Headlines tab the user taps on one of the previously added items.The app presents the reader screen and starts to read aloud. The user swipes left over one item and taps on the ‘More…’ button and then on the ‘Listen Now’. The app opens the requested article and starts to read it aloud.]
Speech Central Video 3 [Video Description: In the Articles & Books the user presses the ‘+’ button and picks the option ‘Open File’. The system file picker dialog appears. It supports importing of iCloud files and files from all installed cloud apps on the device. The user picks the epub file ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’. As it is imported the user taps on it. The app presents the reader screen and starts to read aloud.]